Online Resources for Content and Information
I. Open Access Resources
Open Access materials generally allow readers to view, download and copy the material freely for any lawful purpose. However, before using any open access materials check to see if there are any limits to the use of the content. The terms are set by the individual creator or copyright owner and can range from unrestricted use to partial access.
Books and Journals
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Directory of Open Access Books
- Directory of Open Access Repositories
- Open Access Text Archive
- The Online Books Page
- Project Gutenberg
Images, Music, Video
- Creative Commons Search – Search for images, music, web and video content that are licensed for use through Creative Commons.
- Open Educational Resources
- Wikimedia Commons
- Public Domain Music
II. Court Cases, Decisions, and Government Documents
- Canadian Legal Information Institute
- Government of Canada Publications – Works that have been created under the direction of the Government of Canada are governed by Crown Copyright. Information on copying Crown works can be found here.
IV. Creative Commons Licensing Information
Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization that lets content creators license their work for distribution and other uses such as remixing. Creative Commons licences vary in scope and nature, and they allow the creator to impose certain conditions on the copying and sharing of works, such as the condition that a work cannot be distributed for commercial purposes.
- Creative Commons licence information – http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
- Creative Commons guide for educators (slide presentation) – http://www.slideshare.net/thecleversheep/creative-commons-what-every-educator-needs-to-know-presentation
- Creative Commons Search (search for images, music, web and video content that are licensed for use through Creative Commons) – http://search.creativecommons.org/
V. Copyright Information
Copyright Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-42 can be found on Canada’s Department of Justice website.
Updates on recent decisions concerning the Access Copyright Interim Tariff.