To track your image use we recommend providing a citation for each image on the final slide of the slide deck.
- Title of the image
- Image creator's name (artist, photographer, etc.)
- Date the image (or work represented by the image) was created
- Institution (gallery, museum) where the image is located / owned (if applicable)
- Copyrighted date
- Date of access (important to know if a website is no longer available)
- Source of the image (for internet content this would include the complete URL to the image source page)
Creative Commons licensed images (CC)
Attribution for content licensed under a Creative Commons (CC) licence should include:
- Title of image
- Name of the creator
- Source of the image (usually in the form of a URL to image source page)
- Any copyright information included with an image (such as a watermark)
- Creative Common licence information (including link back to CC licensing page if possible)
You can find more details on attribution requirements and examples of citations for CC licensed material here: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Best_practices_for_attribution
Students may want to print out copies of your slides so include all of the information they will need to locate the images. Providing the full licence type and URL will ensure that information is not lost in the move from an online to a printed format.
For a very helpful guide to attributing Creative Commons material see a Factsheet from the Australian Research council Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation in partnership with CC Australia: Attributing Creative Commons Materials, http://creativecommons.org.au/materials/attributingccmaterials.pdf
Images from Public Domain Materials
It may be difficult to locate information on an image that is from a work in the public domain. However, the best practice is to include in the citation, at a minimum, the Creator’s name, Title of the image, Source of the image (for internet content this would include the full URL to the image source page).
Library Image Databases
Images from the Internet
Using images from Print Publications
The York Fair Dealing guidelines permit the posting of short excerpts, including images, Figures, etc. More information on Fair Dealing is available at http://copyright.info.yorku.ca/fair-dealing-requirements-for-york-faculty-and-staff/. Items must carry acknowledgement of the following:
- Title & Author of the excerpt
- Title & author of the work (Book/Journal/Newspaper)
- Date of Publication
- Volume number, issue number (Journal, Magazines)
- Page(s) or page range used
Information on different citation formats can be found here: http://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/styleguides
Attribution examples for image
- Components of the Attribution
- Title: Sky with a view
- Creator: Pinwheelz*
- Copyright information: CC BY-SA 4.0
- Short, hyperlinked attribution statement.
- Full, hyperlinked attribution statement.
- Short, text only attribution statement.
Sky with a view (c) Pinwheelz (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sky_with_a_view.jpg). CC BY-SA 4.0
- Full, text only attribution statement.
Sky with a view by Pinwheelz, retrieved from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sky_with_a_view.jpg used under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en
*York staff amateur photographer